Alarm popups with clear button

I want to implement pop-up alarm notifications that can be dismissed when a button is pressed.

For example, if oil pressure is below 20 psi and engine RPM is above 1000, the oil pressure alarm pops up and covers the screen. Pressing the “ACK” button on the steering wheel should hide the alarm pop up for 10 seconds. If the alarm is still active in 10 seconds, the alarm should pop up again.

I have 7 different alarms that need to behave this way; oil pressure, oil temp, coolant pressure, coolant temp, fuel level, tire puncture, and ABS fault.

The button is on CAN and being received by RD through my USB CAN adapter.

Is there a way to implement the alarm clear & timer logic in RD or do I need to implement it in one of my CAN controllers?

Have you tried the ‘Full Screen Alert’ action type? It dismisses automatically instead of keypress, but has been working very well for us for critical alerts.

I have tried that but I don’t like it for this. I don’t want to cover all of the screen, just a specific large area.

To achieve this you need to make your notifications to the dashboard as gauges and use hide/show gauge action with timers that can be cancelled with button press. Quite a lot of work but can be done.

1 Like