Android Headunit with CAN support (conectivity with RD)

Hello everyone.
I am new to Realdash, and i am using it with classic OBD2 bl/wifi adapter.
I saw there was similar topic here, but very old (from 2021). Something probably changed since that.
I have android unit in my car, that reads vechicle data via CAN, I was wondering if that Unit can be connected somehow with RD, without any adapter.

I have the file with MCU (mcu.bin) as seller sent me some updates, but after it, I lost some data for fuel level, hadbrake and lights on native gauge app screen.
I supose it can be conected to Realdash via socketCan, but nothing happened whe I tried once.

Since I am new user, site dont allow me to post more than one pic, but I can provide any additional photo or data if needed.
Car is Audi A6 2008 and unit pic of system info is here:

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I am also interested in this, and I’m also wanting to see if data is sent out from these types of headunits that could possible be using inside RealDash. Namely if data is sent out from Android Auto/CarPlay where I could have the currently playing song or navigation information display on the dashboard.

This is not currently possible due to the closed nature of the CAN implmentaion of the headunits. You will need to tap into the canbus and use an adpater to get the info into Realdash.

1 Like

That would essentially be using a USB type can adapter plugged into the radio?

Would you know if any of the apps that add CarPlay or Android Auto might send information out on CAN?

Yes, several adapters are supported and work well.

No, it’s not going to work like that. Navigation within Realdash you can currently only use the map service that is integrated.
Currently playing works via android notification system and works well for some music players, not sure it’s passed from Car Play or not, but you can try.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I’m kind of working on. I’m building a full canbus network for an older car to retro mod it, and I would love to mimic what newer cars with factory carplay/android auto where it can display the info on the dashboard. Since many of the Android radios that have carplay/android auto uses some sort of an app to do the phone interface. This would likely mean that the app would need to be able to send that information either to android notification system or directly to a canbus decoder. This is ultimately what I would want it to do, then I would connect the android radio to the same canbus as the dashboard and have that information display in RealDash.

Here is a small writeup I did on FAQ section:

Problems with Android headunits - General / Frequently Asked Questions - RealDash Forum

Yeah I saw that and is good info. It’s not a clear answer to what I’m wanting to do, but it does at least give me a direction of the hardware direction that would be required to do what I’m wanting to do, but I’m also not necessarily looking to run RealDash on the radio. I will certainly use RealDash on the radio for some things, but for the most part I’m looking at using the radio in the aspect that most radios are used for, primarily Android Auto/Apple Carplay, FM radio, etc. This is good info about the limitations of how the Android Radio interfaces with the built in CAN. Which means that ultimately I would likely need to use a USB based CAN device, which isn’t an issue. I’m looking at more trying to get data out of the Android Radio (such as navigation info from Android Auto/Apple Carplay, currently playing info, etc) that I can then use that data in RealDash on a separate device. It is looking like that might not be possible since the android app that usually runs the Apple Carplay/Android Auto likely doesn’t send out that information over a canbus connection of that radio, or maybe there is a way those apps put that information out over the Android notification system, and maybe I can develop and app that can intercept that information and then send it out over an attached CAN adapter.