Basic gauge editing for dummies

I am new to RealDash and have only limited experience editing gauges in Tuner Studio. Consequently I’m finding the learning curve for how to do even basic editing of the gauges quite steep. The 3 tutorials on the RealDash web site are good, but they are quite specific and lack some basic instructions and principals. However, I have made some progress and would like to share what I’ve learned in order to help others if I can.

I am using RealDash with Speeduino and have the Data Engineer’s Dream dash board. It does almost everything I want out of the box, but it has a boost gauge that I wanted to change to a Manifold Absolute Pressure gauge, and a MAF gauge that I wanted to change to Throttle Position Percent gauge.

The first thing I had to figure out is how the gauges are constructed. I’ll use the Boost gauge as an example as everything else seems to be similar.

To edit a gauge, first tap the upper center of the screen to bring down a menu bar. In the upper right corner tap on “Edit”. This will bring a list of gauges out onto the left side of the screen. I was looking for anything related to the Boost gauge and found 4 items. Boost arc gauge, Boost text, Boost Value and Boost unit. Instead of displaying Boost, I wanted the gauge to display MAP, so I had to change the names. I don’t think it matters what particular order this is done in, but this is how I did it:

Tap top center of screen → Tap Edit → select Boost arc gauge ->Tap the bottom centre of the screen to bring up another menu bar → Tap Context Menu → Tap Edit → Tap gauge Name → Change Boost arc gauge to MAP arc gauge → tap Done → tap the check mark → tap Done in the upper right corner → Save the dash by tapping the check mark in the dialog box.

Do the same procedure for Boost text, Boost value and Boost unit. Now all the Boost selections in the list will have been changed to MAP selections. Now we have to assign the correct inputs, values and units. The first thing I did was to change the text.

In edit mode select MAP text → Tap Input & Values → Select Data Source = None → Tap Done → Tap Look& Feel → Tap Font&Text → Change Boost to MAP → Tap Font& text to exit → Tap Look&Feel to exit → Tap Done to exit → tap the check mark to save.

Then I changed the units.
In edit mode select MAP unit → Tap Inputs&Values → Select Data Source = None → Tap Done → Tap Look&Feel → Tap Font&Test → Change the unit to kpa → Tap Font&Text to exit → Tap Look&Feel to exit → Tap Done to exit → Tap the check mark to save.

Then I changed the value.
In edit mode select MAP value → Tap Input&Value → Select Data Source = Manifold Absolute Pressure ( value range, warning level and critical level can be set here) → Tap Done to exit → Tap Done to exit → Tap the check mark to save.

Then I changed the arc gauge settings.
In edit mode select MAP arc gauge - Tap Input &Values → Select Data Source = Manifold Absolute Pressure ( value range, warning level and critical level can be set here) → Tap Done to exit → Tap Done to exit → Tap the check mark to save.

That does it for one gauge. The others can be done with the same procedure, including the graph gauges on the next page. I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything. I have no doubt that there may be other and/or more efficient ways to do this, but it seemed to work for me. It’s all pretty intimidating at first, but once you kind of get the hang of things it’s rather fun.

Let me add one thing: Just be brave and experiment with knobs and buttons. Nothing bad will happen just by pressing all the buttons and editing all values, just to see what happens. After some experimentation, it kind of starts to make sense in its own way.