CAN Analyzer type 2 - Issues

Ok so i’ve got one of the type 2 CAN-USB adapters and im having a bit of a hard time getting it to comm with realdash properly, The comms will briefly connect showing some green data and then drop out again and attempt to connect again.

For context of my setup;
Link G4x Jzx100 PnP Ecu —> Out on Link CANPCB cable —> Link CANF plug —> twisted pair cable —> Type 2 CAN analyzer —> to device (I’ll eventually use an android headunit but for now im testing with laptop and phone using OTG cable)

I believe all the basics are correct with what ive got so far so, i have 60ohm resistance between CAN H & CAN L when powered down and all the wiring seems to macth up with no shorts or anything obvious.

So i’ve set my ECU CAN settings to;

CAN Module 2 (The one which the CAN PCB cable is plugged into.)
User Defined
1/MBit/s
OBD - off
Channel 1 - Transmit DASH2PRO
Transmit Rate: 20Hz
CAN ID: 1000
Format: Normal

which as far as i am aware is what they should be set at?

then i have replicated these same settings on the realdash end, 1MBit/s, Can Analyzer Type 2, USB Serial…

When i go into the CAN monitor i get varied results…

Using the Link_Short_Can.xml file provided within the realdash application i have not yet succeeded with acheiving any sort of communication to realdash, however when i have used a different .xml file which was provided by a user on the link forums i managed to get intermittent data comms but this would still drop in and out.

So my theory is one of the following;

1. My CAN Analyzer is faulty and can’t hold a steady connection OR i need to do some kind of setup on the software side with it to make it communicate properly, however looking into this i’ve had a hard time actually finding the software. (If anyone knows where i can get this from that would be a great help!)

2. I need some kind of different XML file as its strange that it doesn’t work with the built in Link_short_can.xml but does with another one?

OR

1. Im totally useless and out of my depth trying to figure this out :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First thing to verify is that you have steady data on CAN Monitor. The CAN Monitor does not use any XML file, but instead just shows everything that is received from CAN adapter.

You could try lowering your CAN speed to 500kbps. That is plenty of speed and may result in better reliability. We very rarely use Type 2 CAN adapter, so you may want to experiment with other style adapters too.

Yep I think I’m at that point now I’ve explored pretty much every avenue with this adpater and can’t get it to work reliably.

Which adapter do you recommend, the seed studio one?

Seeedstudio adapter has been reliable and has good performance. Problem with that is that USB is not always a desired option.

OBDLink OBD2 adapters also work well as CAN adapters, but they are very slow if you want to write something from RealDash to CAN bus. Reason is that the CAN stream must be stopped before adapter can write any commands to the vehicle.

The newest supported adapter is MeatPi. It seems to be very well built device, but we do not have much experience with it.

If you need extra inputs, you may want to check SPLeinonen DashBox.

All supported adapters listed here:
http://realdash.net/manuals/supported_can_lin_analyzers.php