CAN & OBD Support

Hi, I was wondering how I can get dash lights and signals to work. I’m using OBD2 Streetwize. My car does support CAN, I just don’t know how to make it work. I’m aware that OBD2 has limited capabilities. If there’s a clear tutorial on how to make it work, would be perfect. Thanks in advance

unfortunately, there is no clear guide. general principles of decryption of data packets and an individual approach is required for each machine. my advice is to look for CAN analysis information.

1 Like

Yes, its pretty much impossible to make a guide for that as all vehicles have their own communication protocols, value addresses, math conversions etc.

If you are planning to make a proper dashboard replacement with real time data, forget the OBD2 and use CAN connection. OBD2 is not well suited for real time data displays and it was never designed for that. It is a diagnostics protocol. True, on some vehicles you can get the data pretty fast from OBD2 using some fancy custom commands, but they are very specific and somewhat rare.

For CAN bus definitions (aka dbc files) here is an excellent starting point:

From what I have seen, it isn’t always correct, but it just might save a bunch of time!

1 Like

Thanks for the responses guys, I’ll be surely looking deeper into it.

Thank you :slight_smile: