Creating LCD Cluster for Analog / Pre-CANBUS Vehicles

Hello all!

I really need help in designing a LCD Cluster for Analog / Pre-CANBUS Vehicles. I have hardware mostly sorted. Just need to get analog signals from car into RealDash. I will pay someone to help me achieve my goal. Please help this Aussie guy who knows nothing about CANBUS.

TIA

If you have made your custom device that reads the sensor data, you can transmit the data to RealDash using RealDash CAN protocol. See documentation here:

RealDash-extras/RealDash-CAN at master · janimm/RealDash-extras · GitHub

While the protocol name is ‘RealDash CAN’ it does not actually require a CAN bus connection in order to use with RealDash. It was created to easily transmit existing CAN frames to RealDash, but RD doesn’t really care if data is coming from actual CAN bus or from something else.

I’m doing something very similar for my 1949 Ford F4 truck.

I use a microcontroller to read the temperature, pressure, VSS data from the truck sensors. The microcontroller coverts all those readings into numbers that are then sent to ReadlDash using a modified version of the Arduino sketch pointed to above.

A custom XML is used to tell RealDash how to interpret the data stream.

I’m willing to answer questions as best I can.

For example:
I’m testing with ESP32, ESP8266 and RP2040. I use PT100 temperature sensors and 5 BAR pressure transducers. The transducers provide am analog voltage betwee 0.5 and 4.5v, the microcontroller converts that to pressure in BARs. The pressure value in BARs is transmitted to RealDash.

A similar process is done for the PT100 and k-type thermocouples for temperature.

I also read an analog voltage to determine the gear shifter position and that is transmitted to RealDash so it can display what gear the truck is in.

I guess I’m just saying that analog values can mean many different things.

david

1 Like