Custom OBD2 XML file cannot be imported?

Hi Everyone,

Long time RD user here! I just joined because I want to add a custom PID (oil temp). I modified the OBD2 XML file, but cannot import it to the device (Pixel 4 running Android 13 and Pixel 7 running Android 13 Beta).

I get a “failed to parse file, file not found” message.

I’ve tried directly transferring to the device, as well as loading from Google Drive.

The original XML file from the github won’t load either.

Can anyone advise on how I can use a custom XML file?

We discussed this over the email?

I do not know what the problem may be. The XML files you sent me on email was not a RealDash XML file. Something must happen to the file when you transfer it into your device. Another option is that you have not given RealDash a permission to access your files on Android settings.

We did, but I was hoping other members might be able to assist.

I tried using the actual file provided from the github, but i can’t import it either. I’ve granted Real Dash all permissions. I run into the same issues on both devices.

I don’t think I’m the only one right?

Currently to my knowledge you are :smiley:

Could you make a video of how you copy and import the XML file? Maybe I can spot something that goes wrong.

Absolutely! I’ll email you with it

Actually, easier to post here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11WhgwSis6r_SxoBK2F-XXIb3UdGG0p3D/view?usp=sharing

I would need to know how you take the XML from GitHub, see the contents of the XML file, and how you transfer that file to your mobile phone. I believe something happens at that stage.

I went to the github (https://github.com/janimm/RealDash-extras/tree/master/OBD2) found the obd2 xml, right clicked, saved the file. I emailed it to myself and downloaded the file onto my phone.

I get the same error message if I transfer via a cable.

That is the problem. If you do it like that, you will get the entire GitHub page into your saved file.

You can either:

• Clone the repository to your computer with Git and then copy the file to your device.
  • Download the entire repository as zip file from GitHub, unzip, and then copy the file.
  • Open the XML file in GitHub and use ‘Copy Raw Contents’ button and paste them to a text file.

I right clicked on the OBD2 XML file, and saved that. I’ll try your steps though

Well, to anyone who had issues because they don’t know how to properly export a XML file, Jani was right. His steps worked!

I feel dumb, but will be testing my custom PID later!

Happy to hear you are making progress :thumbs: