Linux version info and install instructions

finally got a suitable pi4, jumping into this now wonder if it’ll work out of the box with the round displays…

I’ve got an odroid n2+ coming that I will also do some testing on for its gpio and canbus with some mcp2515 modules. I’ll let you know what I find.

Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on, maybe I don’t have something installed that I should or what, but I can’t get any inputs or outputs from the GPIO. The idea that I have is to control the on/off of my dashboard backlight through GPIO (eventually I will also do backlight brightness) so that the backlight is only on when realdash is running. I can get it to turn the output on through commandline with both wiringpi and the raspi-gpio commands, but nothing happens inside Realdash.

If you start RealDash from the terminal, do you get any GPIO related error messages?

I do not see any gpio related errors. I only see NUTS_ERROR related to ScreenSaver and org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.SericeUnknown for spotify.

Ok, I will investigate as soon as possible.

I was finally able to get into testing GPIO properly and yes, the new RealDash GPIO module is not properly attached to the Trigger/Action system. The module itself seems to work just fine. This will be fixed to next release.

GPIO on Linux should work now on 2.0.6 version. Please let me know how it works out for you.

This is fascinating as i believe the ideal solution for me. Currently running LineageOS on my RPI4 but im thinking this is a better solution. Especially if the system can run a GPS module.
I was going to use a 20,000 Battery to power the PI with a pass though charge to recharge the battery attached to an accessory line

Anyway keen to see a recommended build//

What Canbus HAT will be used
What SBC would be powerful enough to run this
What GPS module would work with this.
How do you intend to control the screen pages without a touch screen ? I was thinking this with some coding. https://core-electronics.com.au/analog-2-axis-thumb-joystick-with-select-button-breakout-board.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pOTBhCTARIsAHF23fLUlROwD_j4vez4JIZmpPe_KK70UY6aRYrtLl9ZlQf9tPXXpEUbmLIaAsarEALw_wcB

Anyway keep up the amazing work im keen to get this working.

We have tested with PiCAN3, seems to work well.

GPU will be a bottleneck on all SBC:s. Raspi4 seems to give acceptable performance. Asus Tinkerboard has better graphics performance.

RealDash supports any NMEA compatible external GPS module.

You could attach physical buttons to GPIO to switch screens. Any more refined control the wireless keyboard/mouse combo may be the best choise.

We have tested with PiCAN3, seems to work well.

GPU will be a bottleneck on all SBC:s. Raspi4 seems to give acceptable performance. Asus Tinkerboard has better graphics performance.

• Which Tinkerboard 2S ?
    I am happy to buy dedicated hardware for this project. Tinkerboard (??) or Odroid N2(+) or what ever works best.
    I see there are some with machine learning Tinkerboards I’m not sure if that would help without realdash additional custom coding.
    Hoping Realdash will just be an image load as I’m no guru with linux

RealDash supports any NMEA compatible external GPS module.
Not sure if the intent is to have a USB based NMEA compliant GPS module as the Board slot will have the PiCAN3 module on it. I think i saw you can double stack boards but i cant imagine a case that could hold them. USB seems easier to install as well.
Nice case possibility. https://copperhilltech.com/din-rail-metal-enclosure-for-pican2-pican3-and-pican-fd-for-raspberry-pi-4/

You could attach physical buttons to GPIO to switch screens. Any more refined control the wireless keyboard/mouse combo may be the best choice.
The intent was to have a thumbstick mounted on the dash that was attached to a GPIO that could be used to switch screens but there will always need to me a keyboard and trackpad. I intended to mount mine in my sun visor with magnets. Custom cutting it to hold the keyboard and make it removable.

I hope my ignorance on this isnt too painful.

What are people doing for on screen keyboard when using touch only devices?

That is a good question as Linux does not have built-in virtual keyboard.

My intent is to attach a Thumbstick to the raspberry pi (Mounted on the Dash below the screen, to do left and right for dash changes then a keyboard with touchpad attached via a custom sun visor (held on with magnets.)

How are people handling power on the RPi4 setups? Fast booting?

I’m using the RS485 CAN HAT for Raspberry Pi found on Amazon. Performance has been good on my Pi 3B on Rasbian with a few tweaks (found earlier in this thread).

As for input, I keep a keyboard in the car for when I need to re-authenticate it. This is the biggest issue for me personally. In order for my dash to work properly, I have to set up a wifi spot every couple of days. Not ideal :frowning:

What folder/directory does realdash store it’s settings and such on Linux? I’ve looked in the usual places such as /etc. My app has gotten where it will not display correctly on the screen and I need to “reset” it to fix it. Deleting the folder in documents and reinstalling the package does not fix the issue.

Realdash does open correctly if run as the sudo user but obviously that breaks other functionality.

Try:

~/.local/share/realdash

I will add -reset terminal flag for the next release.

Tell me, on LINUX, is the problem with recognizing the resolution of ultra-wide matrices still relevant?
Or correct?

Regarding LQ123…

The ultrawide haxxor is not needed on Linux, its an Android problem only.