Linux version info and install instructions

It runs alright on 64bit RaspiOS (link). Only takes 2 seconds longer to boot. Garage is more finicky than on the 32bit; 2.0.1-1 version.

The real issues that I have are with CAN. I know that you said CAN wasn’t working, but I thought Bluetooth CAN was working. This has been an area of contention for a while on my setup. I’m using a LINK Ecu through a OBD2 CAN adapter. It works on my Android tablet (AOSP 12 & Realdash v202). I had it originally working through LINK, but now that doesn’t work with the latest Realdash, so I’m using the OBD2 option).

On the Pi with 2.0.1-1 32bit, I have a few CAN options, but the only one that recognizes the adapter shows "SUPPORTED PROTOCOL: NONE :frowning:.
On the Pi with 2.0.3-1 64bit, no CAN options seem to work :frowning:
USB wired does work on the 32bit version, but then I can’t tune my car. It’s not an option for this to replace my actual dash.

Android

ARM (32bit)

Would this happen because of driver issues from 32 to 64 bit? I haven’t had a chance yet to do anything to help test the linux version of this yet as family issues. I hope to be able to start doing some testing this week as the design of the cluster bezel should be done soon.

I’m trying this on my khadas vim3 running ubuntu and seeing the following error.

khadas@Khadas:~$ realdash
realdash: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libsndio.so.7.0)
realdash: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libsndio.so.7.0)
Segmentation fault

System info…

root@Khadas:/home/khadas# ls -la Downloads/realdash-mrd_2.0.3-1_arm64.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 khadas khadas 26075020 Jan 27 21:59 Downloads/realdash-mrd_2.0.3-1_arm64.deb
root@Khadas:/home/khadas# uname -a
Linux Khadas 4.9.241 #8 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 8 09:27:25 CST 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@Khadas:/home/khadas# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal
root@Khadas:/home/khadas#

Any ideas?

Are you running the desktop or the server version? Right now RealDash requires the desktop person.

Yes, I’m using the desktop version. This image: https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM3/Ubuntu/EMMC/VIM3_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.7z

I haven’t tried that image yet. I ran the mainline and it was working.

Can you provide me with a link to the version you’re using?

https://docs.khadas.com/linux/firmware/Vim3UbuntuFirmware.html

Under Mainline Kernel section. You have to put it on an SD card, boot it, then there are instructions on how to copy it to the emmc.

That worked! thank you so much!

Almost there. I have CAN working on my RPI3B. It can even be seen in Realdash (2.0.1 and 2.0.3). Unfortunately, Realdash is not ready to commit.

Steps taken. (from Link

install can-utils
sudo apt install can-utils

Steps to setup the CAN connection.
sudo nano /boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=12000000, interrupt=25,spimaxfrequencey=2000000

sudo raspi-config
Interface Options → SPI →

sudo modprobe can
sudo modprobe can_raw

(I have my LinkECU setup at 500k for the OBD2 adapter, so I kept it consistent.)
sudo ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000 restart-ms 100

sudo ip link set up can0

Steps to autostart connection on boot.
sudo nano /etc/modules-load.d/can.conf

can
can_raw

sudo systemctl start systemd-networkd
sudo systemctl enable systemd-networkd

sudo nano /etc/systemd/network/80-can.network

[Match]
Name=can0

[CAN]
BitRate=500000
RestartSec=100ms

sudo systemctl status systemd-networkd

Check Comms
candump -tz can0

Note: Can 1 is RPI3. Can 2 is OBD2.
20220131_222030-size.jpg
20220131_224624-size.jpg
20220131_222048-size.jpg

reading up on all these issues with wide displays…i may have messed up…

i literally just purchased https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003258271862.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.38524c4dzo1fBZ , specifically the 2x lcd with driver board, it has an extended display mode meaning the two round displays combine to show the desktop

or is the issue more to do with aspect ratio? is 2:1 too wide?

it seems like the lions share of these 5" round displays are billed as 1080x1080 but are actually somewhat smaller as they’re a round stamp out of a square display

Cool looking display set! You’ll know when you test those. The problems with ultrawide displays are mainly on Android and seem to be dependent on driver board, not the display itself.

Next version of RealDash will have new connection type on Linux: ‘SocketCAN’. The SocketCAN is a Linux kernel module that allows communication on CAN bus. In practise, with this connection type RealDash can read/write CAN whenever the installed cantools are able to. Example:

candump can0

Where ‘can0’ is the name of your CAN interface. If you get a stream of CAN data to the terminal, RealDash is able to access it too with SocketCAN connection type.

Linux version 2.0.5 now supports SocketCAN and GPIO. I updated the first post with detailed information.

Can confirm, it’s working :smiley:
It freaks out with transmit user 1 (which also goes to my ODB Can device), but with Real2Dash it works perfectly.

Edit: Are you looking to do a fully paid for version, similar to the android and windows versions? Something that doesn’t require a subscription and won’t require the internet? Mine boots me out every couple of days and I have to break out the keyboard and hotspot. Your time deserves compensation, I’m totally on board with that, but my setup will not be connected to the internet.

No such plans, Linux version will remain MRD activation only at this stage.

actually, how would that work for rpi installs?
would the rpi need to have a wifi module or gsm module to very occasionally check in to realdash?

For testing I’m trying to get realdash to turn on an LED when it’s running. I’ve got the LED grounded through a 330 resistor and the positive side of the LED connected to pin 40 of the PI. In the input mapping I have GPIO: Output (pin 40) is set from app started, but it’s not lighting up. What am I doing wrong?

I believe all current PIs have WiFi. Make a hotspot from your phone to have PI online all the time. You get maps, navigation, speed limits etc. at the same time.

I do not know, but I can test the GPIO again to be sure.

BR,
Jani;