LS Swap gps speedo

Ok so I’ve been looking into RealDash for my ls swapped 79 k10 that I’m currently building, and I was wondering what I can use for my speedometer? Is there like a gps mode speedo? I already built my own setup on the app and really want to use the speedo on screen. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but this is all new to me as I am 17 and this is my first ever ground up project. Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

I’m using a th350 so it’s a mechanical speedo

1 Like

Hi there, I’m not a RD guru but I think if your setup is on Android you could use the internal GPS for speed, it is very accurate, only downside is if you go through a tunnel for a long while! Now if your engine uses cable speedo you could look for a hall sensor type that could fit, then build an inexpensive PWM to Voltage converter and feed it to an analog pin on your interface! Your XML file will need some math conversion to get the reading accurate! Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I’m actually planning on using an iPad, as I would be able to use it for school/work when I’m not driving my truck. So I’m not sure if I’d be able to use that and have a built in gps, as that would make my life a lot easier. As for sensors and all that, I was looking into hooking up a vss to my transmission because if I understood correctly, I can use that to get mph from my transmission to myobd2 port. Also, can you explain a little bit of building a PWM? To be honest I have no idea what that is, but I don’t mind experimenting! Thanks

1 Like

The iPad surely has a built in GPS. Just go to your RD settings, then Units & Values, then second row toggle to GPS SPEED and give it a try! Now regarding hall speed sensor either from engine or gearbox, if you have OBD you will most probably get the speed info through there, you only need to get the correct OBD adapter bluetooth or wifi and connect it to RD, just search for the topic, so you wont have to go through all the building stuff!

2 Likes

Ok I will give it a try! I really appreciate the reply, and I will look into the right obd Bluetooth adapter. The one I was looking at was the OBDLink MX+

2 Likes