LS swapped BRZ with Realdash

Hey all, thought I would share my deployment of Real-dash that I have been working on.

This is my LS Swapped BRZ, Runs a Standard E38 ECU with a AGT Engineering Can-bus translator for Can translation and Drive by wire signal bending.

Initially it took me awhile to get the hang of setting up real dash but I feel I have gotten a lot better at it.

Ive been able to sniff out most of the standard BRZ/86 Data. There’s a few things that are still a mystery but for the most part the dash is usable on a daily basis.

Stuff I have gotten working-

RPM
Wheel Speed
Coolant Temp
Fuel ( with help from the AGT Translator )
ABS lights
Traction Control Modes and Lights
Airbag Lights
Check Engine Light
Cruise Control
And a few random lights I cant think of at this time.

For hardware Im using -
10.3" LCD
Khadas Vim 3
CAN Analyzer (Ver 8.2)
OBDlink SX for OBD info (uses the realdash LS typical config)

For mounting I had a spare dash that I 3D scanned and made my own enclosure. The enclosure retains the factory PCB from the cluster so certain data and wiring remains for things to work.

Stuff on the todo list

Startup - Shutdown Controller for VIM3
Work out why some Can messages are missing using a CAN Analyzer (Type 1 and 2) but are visable using an OBDlink SX.
Hardwire the Indicators as they dont exist on CAN.

Video link of it doing stuff!

https://youtu.be/ej9toZGOlTw

Very cool project and clean installation! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Really enjoyed building dash cluster, Real dash is a nice piece of kit and I can appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

Respect. A solid project!
Is the matrix resolution full-fledged (1920 x 1080) or stripped down? It seemed to me in the photo that the panel dimensions are not very large? Or does it just seem that way?)))

The screen res is 1920 x 720 I believe. A 10.3” screen is all that would fit in. I don’t see any screen door effect while looking at the dash so the res hasn’t bugged me

I’ll be watching to see what you come up with for sleep/wake up on the VIM3. This is the one aspect holding me back from deploying my setup on my supercharged V8 (M113K) swapped Crossfire. My best solution uses an Arduino to cycle to power button on the VIM3, and then read the VIM3’s 40 pin header for a power state change. However, sometimes the VIM3 just wakes up, uncommanded.

how did you get this texture in 3d printing?

In the CURA settings, there is an experimental mode called “fuzzy shell”

Hey all, Been awhile since I have been able to work on this project but I have finally come up with a start-up controller. Hardware wise its just a Arduino with a Can shield and a relay breakout board but its doing the job for now.

Code is below, Just a simple program that looks for any CAN data on the network and if any packets are received the dash boots. This works like a charm in my BRZ as the Can data starts as you approach the car with with the keyfob and the data stays running until you lock the car. There is a timeout of about 5 mins of idle time if you dont start the car in between walkinig upto it and pushing the start button.

I hope this helps someone out.

Cheers

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  while (!Serial);

Serial.println("Can Startup Controller");
  // Set Relay Output
  pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
  // start the CAN bus at 500 kbps
  if (!CAN.begin(500E3)) {
    Serial.println("Starting CAN failed!");
    while (1);
  }
}

void loop() {
  // Shutdown Controller Looking for CAN activity
  int packetSize = CAN.parsePacket();

if (packetSize) {
    // If Data Found Set Relay ON
    Serial.println("CAN DATA RECIEVED");
    digitalWrite(3,HIGH); 
  } else {
    delay(500);
    // If No Data Found Set Relay OFF
    digitalWrite(3,LOW); 
}
    Serial.println();
  }
1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Does anybody know if its possible to display a backup camera in a lcd with a khadas hardware setup? Perhaps using an rca av to hdmi converter if available?