MS-CAN, OBDII, Forscan, extended PIDs and questions

I am new to RealDash and the idea of extended PIDs. I am working on an android tablet setup to create a custom dash and RealDash is amazing, but the inability to see the turn signal indicators in RealDash on my 06 Ford Mustang left me searching for answers - which led me to MS-CAN, Forscan, and buying an OBDLink OBDII device.

I have a few questions:

I was able to pull some info from my car using Forscan, under the IC_MSCAN Module (AS BUILT), with strings that look like this: 720-57-01 42AC 33DB 0A85

Is that a PID? If it is, then there are many of them, and they ae likely the extended PIDs that I and many others may be looking for. I’d like to be able to use them, if so.

Also… can you use a MS-CAN PID in RealDash with an ODBII adapter (Chinese knockoff) that cannot translate/read MS-CAN?

I just picked up RealDash and all this information in the last 48 hours; I am pretty enthusiastic about figuring this out. I am certainly looing forward to some responses, and I will simultaneously be searching for answers while I wait.

Cheers!

Hopefully someone can help you out more. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with MS-CAN or Forscan formats.

Did you ever figure out anything in ford?

I can help you with mscan and ford’s nomenclature.

The 720 is the module, and you’re reading off the AS BUILT data. What you thought was a PID was more similar to a part number for it’s configuration. You can use that device to interrogate the DLC for data but since it uses the elm327 protocol, its too slow for building interfaces/dashes.

In short, no the data on forscan will not correlate directly to something you can use on realdash. However, you should be able to get the data you need using cheap arduino or esp32 devices.

Glancing at the communication network of that gen mustang, you might be able to tap into the can bus (HSCAN and MSCAN) through the instrument cluster. That module is considered the gateway module in the network.

The best way to do what you want is to do is to passively sniff the actual network by splicing into it.

By passively sniff, you mean backwards probe my OBDII port’s tx lines with an Arduino running a program, or something similar to that?

I’m new to the whole thing, and I’m trying to catch up.

All I need are the blinkers really, so I may just wire two indicators directly to my existing turn signals, run them to the cabin, and install them in the bezel on either side my tablet/RealDash screen. I’m going to hunt down the proper solution, but this should work in the interim.