My own dash version of Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4RR

Hello. I am currently using bluetooth adapter and Android phone.
My questions are how can I connect to CAN bus of my motorcycle? And is it possible to permanently set these up to my motorcycle using a waterproof android head unit? Thanks

1 Like

You can connect to CAN bus with any of the supported CAN adapters:

RealDash | Manuals | Supported CAN/LIN Adapters

1 Like

For clarification, so instead of using ELM327 adapter, I should plug a CAN bus reader?

ELM327 adapter can work as direct CAN adapter too, and works quite OK if you never send any frames from RealDash to your motorcycle. If you are planning to send frames, other options work better/faster.

1 Like

What is it mean to send frames from Realdash to motorcycle? Can give me a example? Thanks :+1:

For example if you want to change a setting or value on your motorcycle with a button in RealDash, ie RealDash is sending a command to your ECU.

1 Like

I don’t know where to start on using CAN bus. It seems the tutorial for CAN bus is not straightforward to me. I don’t know how to start. Can you enlighten me on this?

Hello! What year is your Kawasaki?

I do understand that its too complicated for many people. But I don’t know how I could explain the workings of CAN any better. The materials in GitHub are my best effort trying to explain how it works.

RealDash-extras/RealDash-CAN/realdash-can-description-file.md at master · janimm/RealDash-extras (github.com)

1 Like

I don’t have any Kawasaki Ninja series. I have only Indian made Bajaj Pulsar NS160. I just handmade this dash for myself, to give a better look as I cannot afford to buy any Ninja series

First you need to determine what protocol you can use to communicate with the motorcycle. For example, Honda uses ISO9141-2. I don’t know what protocol is used by Bajaj. Next you need to decide on the hardware.

It uses ISO 15765-4 (11 bit, 500 kbaud)

By the way, is it possible to use ELM 327 bluetooth adapter to connect with Realdash CAN. I think its slower when connected to OBD-II than CAN. If yes, what description file can I use? Thanks.

Here you can find out which adapters are supported. I use OBDLink LX. I tested this device in OBD and CAN adapter mode (firmware version of ELM327 is 1.4b) and it works well.
Before you understand which description file to use, you need to run tests. Connect the device to RealDash as a CAN/LIN adapter and see if you receive the data stream from the motorcycle bus.

1 Like