NMEA 2000 help setting up

I saw that NMEA 2000 was implemented in version 2.3.6, and then followed up in 2.3.7 with a “Fixed Issues with NMEA 2000 Connection” in the changelog.

Is there somewhere I can get some more info on setting it up, and what parameters are supported? I didn’t see it in the wiki anywhere. Thank you.

NMEA 2000 is basically a CAN connection, so use one of the supported CAN adapters to establish connection:

RealDash | Manuals | Supported CAN/LIN Adapters

Then selecting NMEA 2000 as connection file should start giving you the data. Verify the CAN connection in CAN Monitor.

Is there a way for me to add other PGNs I couldn’t find the NMEA 2000 list in the GitHub files

No, there is only a pre-defined set of PGNs available currently. This is due how NMEA2000 values are handled when received. Its basically a custom code path for NMEA2000.

Do you have a specific use-case for a PNG?

Yes… I’m trying to make a custom dashboard… I selected NMEA 2000 in the connections page. Now when I make a gauge for example, and go to inputs, I was kind of hoping to see things like motor trim, speed over ground, heading etc… It’s difficult for me to even find what I’m looking for in there because I’m still seeing options that would only apply to an automobile. I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your time and hard work.

If you go to the ‘Select Input’ popup and enter NMEA to the filter box, you see a list of about 50 NMEA2000 specific inputs that are currently supported by NMEA2000 connection.

Okay that’s great info, thank you!

1 Like