No OBD Oil Temperature on 2016 Seat Ibiza Cupra

Hello,

When selecting Engine Oil Temperature as OBD input it just shows 0 for my car (2016 Seat Ibiza Cupra, same ECU as VW Polo 2016).

All other engine inputs work perfect like coolant temperature, RPM, intake temperature etc.

I tried with 2 different OBD2 dongles, one is Carista dongle and another is a generic ELM 327 dongle. Both had the same problem.

When using other OBD apps than RealDash it was able to show Engine Oil Temperature succesfully.

Any ideas how to get it working?
Let me know if you need more details.

Kind regards
Sebastian Poulsen
Denmark

Oil temperature is a calculated parameter. Not all Ecu send it by obd

Thanks! How to calculate Engine oil temperature?

Oil lubrication warms up 10-15 degrees more than coolant. Therefore, the operating temperature of the engine oil in a warm engine is in the range from + 90 to + 105 degrees.

Engine oil temperature is specified in OBD2 as PID 5C. This PID is also included in default OBD2 settings in RealDash. Unfortunately many vehicles do not send this information on standard PID, and this may be the case with your vehicle.

Yes that is kind of true. I have Oil temperature meter in my car’s original Infotainment and the Oil warms up much slower than the water. So would be nice to show accurately on the RealDash during Oil warmup. For example when the water temperature first reaches 90 degree the Oil temperature is only around 40 degree. So it takes a while for the Oil to “catch up”, which would make the calculated value way off.

Thanks, do you have any idea what PID’s would be used for Oil temperature for VW-Group cars? :smiley: