OBDII Delay/Lag

Hi team,

First of all, again, hat’s off, you guys are brilliant.

regarding the issue, as it is known, there is a lag using OBD / ELM scanners, and I have always thought it’s just a sad fact of life.

However, Today I have used the same scanner using the app called Torque, and the lag was waaaaaay smaller.

Attaching the video, and apologize for the screen orientation. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v2fKqBHvQFISUyiNUKVvriPXCkOztU-E/view?usp=sharing

How can I get the same snappy response in RealDash?

The lag on ELM327 is directly proportional to amount of PIDs requested. RealDash uses a lot of data to calculate internal things like fuel consumption, lambdas, throttle position etc, that are not obviously visible on dashboard.

To make a “fair” comparisation, make a dashboard with only a RPM gauge. You will inspect that its updating pretty fast. One other thing to note is that Torque uses different kind of smoothing on their needle gauges. The appear to react somewhat quicker, but get into actual value in about the same time as RealDash needle gauges do.

That being said, Torque is an excellent app. They have been working on that waay longer than we have on RealDash, and another benefit for them is that it is pretty much OBD2 specific. So, I’m sure they have some tricks on their sleeves that we are not aware of.

Another way is to modify the default OBD2 XML file to contain only the PIDs that you are interested of.

But at the end of the day, if you want “really” responsive dashboard capable of showing dozens of sensor values, the direct CAN connection is way to go.

That’s a good direction. I’ll make a custom obd xml file with only rpm pid and compare.

Also forgot to mention that the adapter I am using is OBDLink EX, is OBD protocol is the right way to get data? I don’t think my car has CAN, but as far as I know, it supports K-Line

Probably is. OBDLink adapters do work as CAN adapters also, so you can pretty easily try if you get anything into RealDash CAN monitor with it.