OBDLink MX Timeout

I have been using the OBDLink MX as an OBD device for a quite a while with no problems ( even have submitted some TPMS XMLs for Mopar a while back) Now I am attempting to use it as a Can device, I have followed all direction but when I attempt to use the Can monitor to start sniffing all I ever get is a “Connecting… Timeout” then repeats over and over. I have used this device with the OBDLink iOS software and the android version and was able to receive can info without an issue on both platforms and the same vehicle (2013 Jeep Wrangler). Am I correct that I should able to see traffic and connect even without a can.xml file in use if all I want to do is see the traffic so I can start anylizing is to make my own?

True, the CAN Monitor does not use XML at all, just dumps all received frames to the monitor.

The OBD2 adapter CAN connection uses ATMA (monitor all) command. You can experiment by creating OBD2 connection and try the ATMA command in OBD2 monitor to see what happens.

When I make the connection in OBD monitor and run ATMA I get no response whatsoever until I stop it. I do get responses to other commands normally used for OBD.

It sounds like you have to set a specific protocol and CAN speed before issuing ATMA, or your vehicle protocol does not support ATMA at all (in essence, its not a real CAN bus).

Protocol can be changed with ATP, and CAN speed with ATPBR, see ELM327 documentation for more info for those OBD2 commands.

I can get can responses with my canhat and Rasp pi so I know its an actual working CAN. Ill try to change speeds and protocols and see what happens.

It could be better to use some other CAN adapter as they offer better performance and reliability than ELM327 adapters. Especially if you are planning to send CAN frames from RealDash to your vehicle.

Thanks for the input.
I agree with that, but I’ll mainly be only reading responses etc etc. I don’t really want to go another route but will if need be.
I have the OBDLink MX and it “should” work , but no luck so far for CAN. Works super for OBD2.
If anyone else has had any luck with the OBDLink MX reading CAN with RealDash via the OBD2 port , maybe they will chime in as well. Otherwise I will keep experimenting.

1 Like