OBDLink

Hi, in the description of new 1.9.5 version of RealDash is written “OBDLink CAN adapter mode”, but in the “support” section of the website (http://realdash.net/support.php) and I think that also in the Android app I can’t see such this option. Where is the OBDLink CAN option? Is it covered by some another name, for example from support page “Link ECU - (except G4X, which does not output serial stream)”? Thank you very much.

My short experiences with RealDash (OBDLink LX via bluetooth):

• the odometer doesn’t add kilometers from the road
  • the trip odometer in RealDash is about minus 3,5 kilometers than real trip odometer (seen today after more than 400 km on trip odometer)
  • the fuel consumption and fuel balance takes not the real values from sensors or is badly counted (I made no changes in garage settings because I don’t know requested values to fill for my car)
  • while I’m driving and put it in neutral, the RealDash thinks that I have 6th gear (RPM are about 800 but the speed is not zero), after I stop the car then RealDash shows the “N” position correctly because of zero speed.
  • I will never see “R” (reverse) position on RealDash because of my rearview cam :laughing:
  • I can’t see turn signal, headlights, high beam, fog lights…OBDLink LX probably can’t send information about lights

But I tried many launchers for my headunit in car and RealDash seems to be the best from all. I will be glad if I can fix (improove) some little things (some described above) to be very happy in using RealDash.

If you goto Garage → Click on the door of the car → click on adapters → you will see connections → add → can / lin adapter, it’s the first selection.

Your warning lights, turn signals etc probably come over can and not odb2 protocol.

Your km is off because your cars specs are not correct. All that is calculated off of the specs you put for your car. Tire size weight drag etc.

I would also suspect your drive, n , reverse come off of can as well

freshfitz: Thank you very much for you answer. I’ll try it in garage settings.

My trip km are very close to reality because I know and filled the tire dimensions, weight, but I don’t know all information about my car (some are not in technical list aswell)

Yes, I read many topics here and FAQ too and I understood that selecting CAN instead of OBD2 will have affect to displaying the gear level. I want to try it and then decide what way I will let to stay. :blush:

I tried the CAN/LIN adapter but there are too many types (“Adaptronic”, “AEM”, “EMERALD”, “GM” etc…) and some types of ISO protocol and I don’t know, what is usable for my car Škoda Octavia II (2006). I think all Volkswagen Group cars in that year have the same settings. :smiley: :blush: Is here anybody who knows or I have to try all possible combinations. :unamused:

No point of trying all the options as they would not work with your car. We do not have 2006 VW CAN descriptions. I would be happy to add them into RealDash if somebody founds the CAN specs.

What is necessary to find out what CAN protocol is used in these type of cars? Can I find it out somehow?

Can help internet sources only or can help my car and VCDS diagnostic software?

Can help some of these types of docs? http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_269_d1.pdf
or something else from volkspage.net?
Or infrmation on this site? https://www.gerritspeek.nl/vag-com_canbus.html

I don’t know what exactly do you need to know. :blush:

Can’t find CAN frame descriptions from either link you provided. To make it work, you need a list of sent CAN frames, their ID numbers and description of how data/information is packed into the CAN frames. It is possible to use RealDash CAN monitor to sniff out most of the values, but in modern cars there is so much data that it can be a bit tedious to get started.

Thank you for explanation. I understand that it can be tedious but if it takes less then a half of a day I can try it. But I don’t know all possible CAN commands to try it. I guess there is no way to try it using a batch file with all commands listed and export a log file with results.