PICAN 3 & raspberry pi

I’ve been doing some learning. I think I need to spend some time translating can ids to components and values I want. This would be much faster and more responsive than relying on obd2 protocol. That’s assuming that CAN is broadcasting everything that I want. Would be cool if you could use pican3 for the obd2 protocol though, maybe I need to create a descriptor file for that.

As a further update, I was able to pull RPMs successfully from the canbus, struggling with speed even though I’m pretty certain I know where it’s coming from. I’m not sure I can get everything from the canbus though. There’s only a total of 6 can ids that are coming through. Which if they were all 16 byte values you could feasibly get 24 sensors through there still. I suspect I’d need obd2 protocol as well to get some of the sensors I’m after. Is there a way to make it so you can do both with the can description file?

speed, I was just sending to the wrong target id…

this works for speedometer and tach for a 2004 6.0 Excursion.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Would still like to be able to get some more data out of obd2 though that I don’t believe is on the can bus directly unless you ask for it via obd2.