RD Windows needs constant internet?

Please explain That is an interesting idea

So by using an Arduino can bus reader, an OBD2 to USB converter or OBD2 to Bluetooth. All of these devices can be read within a c/c#/java program.
I wrote my own c# program and just used 3rd party libraries to get the infoā€¦ after that point it was just customizing to my desires.

I have a fully working entertainment system with custom gauges. I replaced my custom gauges for RD because I like the work RD is doing.

Now Iā€™m working on using multicast to integrate with my custom c# program

1 Like

Fantastic idea. I have been looking at some of the Arduino and ESP items for reading CAN Bus. Do you happen to have a GitHub page?

Waitā€¦ you can read CANBUS info via OBDII to USB? Like, I can use my turn signals in RD because I may be able to finally figure out Fordā€™s Mode 22 pids?

What kind of OBDII device? Your standard fare ELM327 device? I do have an OBDII to USB Ford-specific adapter that I currently use for RD, and it works fantasticā€¦ except blinkers, headlight indicators, etcā€¦ and Iā€™m sure I donā€™t need to explain why this is so, you are obviously far more versed on this side of it than I.

Iā€™m ok on the hardware stuff, but softwareā€¦ I havent coded since BASIC on an Apple IIe in the 80ā€™s, and I was a kid then lol. These days, if I canā€™t cut and paste/click and drag, I struggle sometimes.

Yes read here and and there are some ESP sticks that have a CAN Bus connector. Some simple coding to send the CAN BUS data via USB, WIFI, or Bluetooth. I think there are some CAN BUS adapters for RD on the support page.

https://realdash.net/manuals/targetid.php

https://realdash.net/manuals/realdash_can.php

https://realdash.net/manuals/supported_can_lin_analyzers.php

And remember that most devices will be read into your code by the COM ports. There are alot of examples out there. Most likely it will come in as a STRING so then you just write a parser for the data you care about. and send it to RD by MULTICAST

Yeah, my OBD2 to USB device is recognized by pc as a COM device; it can also ā€˜seeā€™ Fordā€™s mode 22 pids (headlight indicators, blinkers, etc) via Forscan for purposes of diagnostics, so it can at least access the pids I want access to, even if I cannot see what they are.

Is USB going to be superior to the serial port installed in my mini pc?

Man, I have lots to learn hereā€¦

I have lost my brains. Since I am running the Windows app what folder does XML files go in?

Yes youā€™ll want to use the USB because itā€™s faster than serial ports.

Guitar hero,
You mentioned you have com ports, are you running a fanless pc in your car?
If so how well has it handled the summer time heat?

I run a regular computer in my trunk and had to find something fancy to keep it cool in the summer time. Iā€™ve been thinking of switching to the fanless design, supposedly they can handle great better.

HP 800 G3 Mini Desktop is what I am running, upgraded with an I7 7700T, nvme drive and 16GB ram.
It has a cpu fan, but to mitigate any possibility of heat issues, the PC is mounted under my driverā€™s seat and all cables are ran through the center console and then dispersed from there.

Max temp is supposed to be 85c with this setup; only gotten to 67 thus far. Fingers crossed!

To cheat against summer heat you can run a small 3/8-1/2 inch hose tapped into your AC vents. For me it will be easy as my PC is mounted behind the dash where the AC duct hoses are.

Problem comes in especially here in the Southern States with heat soak from sitting closed up all day. It may take a few minutes of running before it cools down enough.