RealDash version 2.4.1 Release Candidate 1

Development of 2.4.1 cut too close for holiday season to publish it. We just did not want to throw it out today and leave for holidays.

But 2.4.1 has a nice set of improvements and fixes, so we decided to offer a release candidate 1 (RC1) for download so anyone interested can try it before the actual release.

• 2.4.1 RC1 released 28.6.2024

New:

• CAN support: Motorsport Electronics ME221 & ME442.
  • CAN support: KMS MD35.
  • Racetrack: Brazil,Autódromo Internacional de Campo Grande.
  • Android: Option to export datalog files.

Fixes:

• Serial data optimization reverted to 2.3.9 version.
  • Fixed 60 foot, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times not updating correctly.
  • Pressing Enter now saves custom mapping values.
  • Max number of gears increased to 10.
  • Fixed issues with CAN Monitor scrolling.
  • Android: App no longer boots with USB attached event if userspace filesystem is not ready.

NOTES
This version is still marked as 2.4.0. This is to allow automatic updates of actual 2.4.1 release to work over. It also allows to install original 2.4.0 over this without losing app data (downgrade requires uninstall-install).

RealDash 2.3.9 introduced an optimization that in expense of more CPU usage you could get an improvement on data rate. While improvement was considerable on high end desktops, on typical Android environment it was consistently less than 2%. In some cases performance was actually worse if device had poor single core performance. This optimization is now reverted.

It has been difficult to access datalog- and other files on Android devices if you are not using My RealDash. The issue is that from Android 10, apps are not allowed to write to user files without user interaction. We did not want to make the start datalogging option to always popup a system dialog prompting where to save the log file. That forced us to store all files in app private storage.

There is an OS feature to ask for a folder, and app is then given full access to that folder, but unfortunately the permission to access folder does not last over device reboots. Also, the OS can choose to revoke the permission at any point, which has happened on our testing. Just to give you a little bit background why this has been done the way it is.

For this we have introduced new option ‘Export Data’. You can access this from ‘Settings->User->2nd page’. It will open a folder selection dialog and export all datalog files to selected folder.

Download of 2.4.1 RC1 APK available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z359gvtknxbyush/AACMWapZ32Ma9I9OISaYDSEta?dl=0

All feedback is welcome.

1 Like

Will test this one then.

Happy holidays !!

1 Like

Issue i was having with dash update slowing and stopping is resolved in this version.