Slow Response/Refresh/FPS on Custom Dashes

I’m running realdash on raspberry pi 4 (2 gb, 1080p display) and have an issue where my custom dashes are not nearly as smooth as the default dashes. It’s as if the FPS drops dramatically between the two. I’ve allocated 512mb to the GPU memory, and overclocked the pi to 2.2Ghz. Is this a memory problem or is there something else I should be looking at?

There is a setting under look & feel for smoothing; usually set to 80, set it to 100 .

I appreciate the response, however i’m certain this is not a value smoothing issue - if I add a FPS gauge to the cluster the max i get is about 9 during the simulation.

I have noticed that the more ‘busy’ dashes lag on my system… are you running up against hardware limitations, perhaps? Are your custom dashes more or less involved than stock dashes?

Are you CANBUS sniffing or using OBDII for data?

Lots of variables.

I guess that’s what i’m trying to figure out, if this is purely hardware related or not. I can obviously upgrade the raspberry pi to a 4 or 8gb version, but I am unsure if RAM alone is the limiting factor. I have roughly 10 needle gauges spread out on 2 different monitors acting as a single extended monitor.

Data is received from Arduino Can Signals and Megasquirt, however i’m still only designing the gauges so everything is under simulation.

RPI VideoCore GPU is notoriously slow on transparency effects, and needle gauges use quite a bit of them, so RD could be running out of oomph on lot of pixels to process like dual monitor setup. RealDash struggles especially a lot if you are using non-round needle gauges, as rendering of the needle requires intermediate offscreen buffer.

Also, try to increase the video memory on rpi-config. Also make sure that your dashboard does not contain graphics that are not used, or are way too big in pixel size for their usage.

Another good way to improve performance is to set up the small images, like indicators etc into single image atlas. Then you can map the individual cells on that atlas on Look’n Feel section.

I will try to increase the video memory…do you think RAM is playing a part? I’m not using any indicators at the moment. I suppose some of my needle gauges could be slightly non-round, but it couldn’t be by much.
dash

RAM always plays a part as it is shared between CPU, GPU and DSP of the processor. 2Gb should be enough though if you do not have many extra background processes running.