Connectivity issue from Realdash to CAN adapter

Hey,

So i have realdash loaded on my android headunit, i have a haltech rebel ls running a turbo ls and i have a can analylzer hooked to the can lines from the haltech.

when i plug the can analyzer into my computer it can read the can from the haltech no issue, so i boot up real dash and go to the add connection, options under can analyzer until i plug in the usb from the analyzer then it says usb connection so i click that, adjust all the settings and go to the tester and it shows nothing.
accept all the settings and go to the main gauge page and it just shows connecting the whole time in lower left.

is this an issues with the way i have it set up, an issue with compatibility, or my dash?

this is the can analyzer, a seeed knock off it seems.
61tB+k-iYOL.SX466

I would like to add that I have now tried RealDash on my PC with the can analyzer plugged in and it works normally, all gauges work and the analyzer in the test area shows the can data from the haltech so the adapter does work. It just seems to be an issue between the can analyzer and the android head unit.

That adapter works perfectly with RealDash (it’s what i use).

If it keeps saying connecting, it’s not connected, some setting is wrong, analyser type, baud rate or wrong USB device selected.

It used to be the case that this adapter must be set to 115200 baud to work in android, you can use the PC software for it to change it. The LEDs should flash 3 times on boot to indicate 115200 baud rate, if they only flash one or two times then it’s set to fast.

Then try again, instead of done, go into CAN Monitor, if all is well you will see the data flowing. If not, then experiment some more.

Even then, you may need to define a custom channel description file for your Haltech.

1 Like

Ok so I tried using every baud rate option and plugging into my laptop to change it on the can analyzer each time, and still the android deck won’t “connect”

If I have nothing plugged in, select can analyzer, then serial/usb, it comes up with the selection of the port. I plug in the usb from the can analyzer and it pops up USB SERiAL option on screen. I click that, select the matching baud rate and go to monitor. That’s where it just says connecting and never goes further than that.

However when I use my laptop and run real dash it works perfect on any baud rate.

I’m Lost :joy:

One logical reason could be that you have not given RealDash a permission to use USB on your Android device. Go thru your Android device settings and revoke all USB permissions. Plug-in the analyzer and see if OS is asking to boot RealDash with this USB device. Give it a permission and you should be fine.

This adapter is also in daily use in our DEATHFISH 2 demo car, and has worked flawlessly for years.

1 Like

Ok I went and checked permissions, it has all that are available to it. I also went in and checked default usb options and they are set to file transfer.

Seems to definitely been an issue in android?

I did notice this head unit has a built in can reader of some sort and is connected to the cars can through the radio adapter. It is reading doors, ebrake, seat belt, etc etc but it isn’t connected to the haltech. I’m assuming there is no way for RealDash to use this connection right?

Typically no, see this post for more info:

Problems with Android headunits - General / Frequently Asked Questions - RealDash Forum

With RealDash closed, what happens when you plug-in the USB?

With real dash closed, plugging in the usb nothing happens on screen or prompts anything.

The only place I can see if it’s plugged in or not is in real dash on the selection of usb screen it pops up usb serial, and if I unplug it that option disappears.

This means that there is no permission for RealDash to use the USB.

The placement of this setting varies on Android versions, but it should be there. Typically its not in same place as ‘normal’ permissions. You may be able to find something like ‘Revoke USB permissions’ option etc.